Rules and Deadlines when Grieving a disciplinary report (DR)
Skip the Informal Grievance (informal grievances any staff can answer) per 33-103.005(1) Informal Grievance Incarcerated may skip this step and initiate the process at the formal institutional level for… grievances regarding disciplinary action so go directly to the Formal institutional level Grievance (the warden or assistant warden must respond).
Step 1 – Formal Grievance at the Institutional Level - 33-103.006(b)(2)
- Use Form DC1-303, Request for Administrative Remedy or Appeal
- The institution must receive no later than 15 calendar days (20 if visually impaired) from…the date of the incident (the day the DR took place)
- Must have incarcerated’ s committed name, ID#, facility name, be signed by incarcerated & check off box for the warden
- State the grievance in Part A. If additional space is needed, use attachments rather than multiple copies of Form DC1-303. Only 2 additional pages allowed. Write clear, legible and accurately.
- Any writing anywhere other than within Part A or on the 2 allowable attachment pages will cause the grievance to be denied.
- More than one issue or complaint in the grievance will cause it to be denied.
- Submit the grievance in the locked grievance box.
FDC will log all formal grievances and provide a receipt number to the incarcerated with the date that the grievance was taken out of the lock box daily Monday through Friday. FDC has 20 days to respond.
Step 2 – Appeal/Direct Grievance to the Tallahassee per 33-103.007(2) file an
- Tallahassee must receive no later than 15 calendar days (20 if visually impaired) from…the date of the date the informal grievance was responded to
- Attach a copy of the formal grievance and response,
- Attach any other documentation pertinent to the review and that the incarcerated wants reviewed.
- Filing these documents can be done in 3 ways:
- Place the documents in the lock box not in a sealed envelope. The person in charge at the prison will log it in and provide receipt but are not allowed to read it
- Place the documents in the lock box in a sealed envelope. The mail will be forwarded to Tallahssee and logged when it arrives in Tallahassee. The 30 days will begin the date it was picked up from the lock box.
- Mail the documents directly to the Bureau of Policy Management and Inmate Appeals, 501 South Calhoun Street, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2500. It will be logged when it arrives in Tallahassee. The 30 days will begin the day it was received in Tallassee.
FDC will log all formal grievances and provide a receipt number to the incarcerated of the same. FDC has 30 days to respond.